Careers & Guidance
Welcome to the Scalby School Careers pages, a sign-post for careers impartial advice and guidance (CEIAG)
- Careers Leader – Associate Senior Leader: Mrs V. Leat-Smith, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone 01723 362301
- Careers Co-Ordinator: Mrs H.Scott , Email: email@example.com, Telephone 01723 362301
- Careers Advisor: Mrs R.Green, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs Ruth Green our Careers Advisor is in school each Monday and Tuesday during term time. Every student is entitled to a face to face Career Guidance interview if they would like one. Parents and Carers are welcome to join their young person for the Guidance interview provided that the student is comfortable with this. Students can ask for an interview and referrals can be made by teaching staff, support staff and parents.
Guidance interviews typically last around 40 minutes, shortly after the interview each student seen will receive a full Career Action Plan with agreed action points to help them move forward. It is helpful for students to make notes before their session and write down any questions they may have so that things are not missed. Students can ask for a follow up appointment if they wish and are often invited along again at a later date if the Careers Advisor feels it would be beneficial.
Even if you think you know what you want to do later on, or which subjects you intend to choose in year 8 it is a very good idea to come along for a discussion just to make certain that you have chosen the right subjects and aware of all options available to you after year 11. There is rarely only one route to a career and there may be alternatives that you are not aware of. It doesn’t matter what school year you are in, it is never too early to begin researching your options. This is your future, it is important that you make informed choices. A Career Guidance interview can help you with your next steps.
To make an appointment, please speak with Mrs Scott who will be happy to arrange this for you.
Scalby School is about to start using an innovative new careers system called “Grofar”.
Provider Access Policy
It would be appreciated if students having had a Careers consultation with Mrs Green would just take a few moments to complete the survey monkey evaluation below, your feedback is important to us.
Careers in Education
Throughout the year, we hold careers sessions during our Life lessons. We actively involve colleges, universities, training providers, professionals and ex-students.
If you are a parent who is prepared to be available for one or two of these hour long sessions during the course of the year, please contact Mrs Scott at the school via email@example.com to volunteer. Likewise, if you know or are an ex-student who would be prepared to be involved as a ‘Career Champion’ once or twice a year in this way, please let Mrs Scott know.
If you were hoping to find an apprenticeship ….the situation is improving!!
Local training providers say that opportunities are starting up again but slowly and you should take the following action….
- If you have been in touch with a local college/training provider and have applied for or had an offer of an apprenticeship before lockdown, they may have kept in touch with you over recent weeks, but if not please contact them without delay to clarify your status.
- If you have been let down by a prospective employer for apprenticeship due the current climate and they can no longer make good on any offer, consider all the options open to you. You could go back to the provider or college that was involved with that apprenticeship and seek further help or you may have changed your mind and looking for something different.
- On the school website under the careers section there is a wealth of useful information to aide your research.
- Remember that you can apply to as many colleges, courses and apprenticeships as you wish and make a decision when you have offers, but you need to decide before the end of August.
- If you are concerned, not sure or need more help and guidance, please contact the school Career Adviser Mrs Green on firstname.lastname@example.org