Members of Scalby Learning Trust
Mr John Scoble
I was appointed to the new Governing body in September 2011 as a Local Authority Governor, but was originally asked by the Local Authority to be Chairperson of the newly formed Interim Executive Board in April 2009. Previous experience – Headteacher of Overdale CP (Eastfield) and Northstead CP. I was also a Local Authority inspector adviser. I am also a National Leader in Governance.
Mr John Senior
I am currently the Lifeboat Operations Manager for Scarborough as well as having business interests in restaurants and property both in the UK and Spain. I was a founder member of the Scarborough South Bay Trading Company which promotes businesses in the town. I was also instrumental in establishing the ‘Heroes Welcome’ initiative which started in one of my restaurants and is now established across the UK and overseas in places such as Gibraltar. I have also served as an officer in both the Territorial and Regular army.
Mr John Armistead
I Qualified as a Chartered Accountant with KPMG in 1970, then the profession to work in industry in 1972. Career history:-
- Joseph Terry – confectioners – York.
- Rowntrees (now Nestle) – confectioners – York.
- Dunlop & Ranken – steel stockholders – Leeds.
- Dale Electric – electrical equipment manufacturers – Filey.
- Pindar – printing, data management & franchisors – Scarborough.
- Retired as Group Financial Director of Pindar in Dec ’08.
- On the Board of Trustees of St Catherine’s Hospice Scarborough for the past 14 years.
- Trustee and past Treasurer of Scarborough Hospital League of Friends.
- Past President and current Treasurer of Scarborough Rotary Club.
- Past President of the Humberside and District Society of Chartered Accountants.
- A director of Scarborough Theatre Trust (Stephen Joseph Theatre in the Round) for the past 5 years.
Ms Susan Richings
I am currently Managing Director of SWC Trade Frames (a Scarborough based manufacturing company) employing circa 140 staff. I am also a Governor of Scarborough UTC.
- Qualified Nurse & Teacher with experience at secondary and tertiary level in teaching, health and social care & science based subjects.
- Supporting Educational achievement and aspiration to encourage young people to be the best they can be.
- My three children attended Scalby School.
Mr Jim Martin
- Served 12 years with the Royal Navy as a communications specialist.
- A short period with the River Clyde Port Auxiliary Service providing support to warships.
- 3 years with the Zambian Department of Civil Aviation managing an airfield.
- Over 28 years with GCHQ as a Radio Officer working at Bletchley Park, a station in North Staffordshire, two periods of 3 years duration in Cyprus and at Irton Moor, Scarborough.
- Served as a Scalby School governor for 19 years from 1985.
- A past governor of Newby & Scalby Primary School for 32 years, 28 as Chair. I continue to provide regular voluntary classroom and school visits support.
- A continuing member of the Scarborough Pupil Referral Service Management Committee since its inception in 2000, 15 years as Chair.
- A past Senior Mentor for the North Yorkshire Business & Education Partnership supporting Y10 & Y11 pupils in Scalby School and Whitby Community College.
- A recent member of the NY Schools Forum, now Education Partnership for 8 years additionally sitting on its Finance Working Group and chairing its School Meals Working Group.
- Chaired the Interim Executive Board to facilitate the transfer of Hinderwell Primary School to Academy status.
- A director of The Cober Hill Trust.
- Independent Co-Chair of the North Yorkshire Learning Disabilities Partnership Board and its Local Area Group for Scarborough, Whitby and Ryedale.
- 12 years as an elected Member of Scarborough Borough Council.
- 16 years as a director, the majority as Chair of The Cambridge Centre, providing substance misuse services.
- Established the not for profit company, The Gallows Close Centre Ltd in 2005 and continue to serve as the Chair of its Board of Directors providing community hall facilities, principally to the residents of the Barrowcliff, Newby and Northstead areas.
- A past Executive Committee Chair of Scarborough Relate.
- Since coming to Scarborough in 1979 I have provided voluntary support for several local charities.
Trustees of Scalby Learning Trust
Mr John Scoble
See Members Information
Mr John Senior
See Members Information
Mrs Kerry Hope
I am Scarborough born and returned to the town 3 ago after 15 years running successful businesses across the North of England in the recruitment sector. Currently, I am Managing Director of Castle Employment Group, Yorkshire’ leading recruiting agency, employing 30+ people and turning over 6m+ across 4 sites in a Yorkshire. I am also aGovernor of Seamer & Irton Primary School. My involvement in the Trust stems from a passion for creating opportunities, raising aspirations and helping drive forward education locally. I am also a Mum of 2, aged 7 and 12.
Mr Roger Cannon
I was appointed to the Interim Executive Board (IEB) in 2009 as part of a small team to oversee the creation of a new Governing Body for Scalby School. I am also the Vice – Chair of Governors at the Grimsby Institute with a particular responsibility for the Scarborough Portfolio. I retired as Headteacher of St. Augustine’s Catholic High School in 2009. My last OFSTED Inspection judged St. Augustine’s School as Outstanding. I serve on the Independent Appeals Panel for School Admissions and Exclusions.
Mrs Stephanie Hartley
I currently work as a receptionist at a GP surgery. Previously, I have experience as a hotel manager and managing a cleaning company which was a family business. I have 25 years experience as a school Governor at Northstead Primary School and 9 years experience at Scalby School where I have been the link Governor for safeguarding and SEN. All three of my children attended Scalby School and I have engaged in numerous charitable activities linked to the school community over a number of years.
Mr David Read
I am currently CEO of Scalby Learning Trust, line managing the Headteachers of Newby & Scalby Primary School and Scalby School.
- Head Teacher Scalby School since 2010 until December 2017
- Formerly Head teacher of Nidderdale High School from 2005 to 2010
- Consultant Leader for NYCC involving mentoring two new Head teachers.
- Led training for new senior leaders for NYCC.
- Participated in inspections of other schools for NYCC.
- Chair of the Coastal Heads and Principals group 2013 to 2015.
- Director of NYBEP since 2013.
- Deputy Chair of the North Yorkshire Coast Opportunity Area.